Welcome

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lydia De Vega the Philippines golden girl


26th SEA game is currently sizzling in Indonesia and initially I plan to write something about this game but some or rather when I think about SEA game I will defiantly remember some of the athletes from Malaysia like sprinter Rabuan Pit,Marina Chin ect.ect and the most I remembered is non other than my favorite from Philippines "De Vega Mercado Lydia" or simply call Lydia De Vega.Even though she is not from my home country Malaysia I really admired her style and sprint.Well I use to be a sprinter during my school day and 100m,200m and 400m is my favorite which I use to dominate during my hay days in school.

If now you want me to sprint you had to put a "Doberman" behind me and that will be by chance or luck if ever I can make it or not.Well I would not like to mention that anyway but to everyone knowledge Lydia De Vega had become synonyms during the 80's especially in SEA games.Philippines have a lot of talented athlete till today especially on track and field.

Lydia de Vega-Mercado is born on December 12, 1964 is a former athlete from the Philippines, was considered Asia's fastest woman in the 1980s.As Asia's sprint queen, she ran away with the gold medal in the 100-meter dash in the 1982 New Delhi Asiad and duplicated the feat in the 1986 Seoul Asiad where she was clocked 11.53 seconds.She also brought home a silver medal in the 200-meter race from the 1986 Seoul Asiad.

De Vega-Mercado also won the gold in the 100 meters at the Southeast Asian Games (1987, 1991 and 1993). She has twice won both the 100 and 200 meter golds in the Asian Athletics Championships - 1983 and 1987.Diay, as she is fondly called by her countrymen was a two-time Olympian, having carried the country's colors in the 1984 (Los Angeles) and 1988 (Seoul) Olympics.



De Vega now serves as a councilor of her native Meycauayan town in Bulacan province.Currently, she is the coach of the Singapore track and field team.I hope Singapore athletes can gain some knowledge and perform well with De Vega experience and guide.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...