Welcome

Friday, September 09, 2011

The food of Malayalee the food of Onnam


Swagatham ! (Greating).Since today is Onnam festival which is the Harvest Festival that been celebrated by all Malayalee through out the world and especially in Kerala.I feel to write a bit about some important aspect of the Onnam festival which I believe without them the Onnam celebration is not up to the mark or expectation.I am talking non other than " Foods".

I  am a Malayalee the 3rd generation in Malaysia.Both my Grandfathers (Dad and Mom parent) originated from Kannur or Cannanore in Kerela which is also famously known as "God Own Country".I been to Kerela for vacation sometime back in 2009 and indeed it is a beautiful country with wonderful scenery and lots lots of greens with marvelous backwaters.A peace of heaven on its own right.The food is superb and as you known the main ingredients is mandatory with Fish,Shrimp,Chicken and Mouton as this is essential in their cuisine.
Kerela food is indeed superb and I am not telling this because I am a malayalee but the way the food been prepare with coconut,masala and exotic signature which is very unique on its own.Don't believe ? Drop by to any of yours malayalee friends home which celebrating Onnam in a grand scale even greater then Deepavali in some houses and taste their menu of the day.Well I am not celebrating in a great scale so nothing in my home for today but I had been invited to dine with other family member of mine in their home.Sorry guys not this year.


Below I had listed the famous Kerela cuisine but without recipes.I am not keen to know how they are made but very excited to taste them.If you had a chance try them in some Kerela concept restaurant or go to Kerela itself if you have time and money.Really superb for Southern Indian food lovers.



"Puthu" go along with Banana.



We call this "Coconut Milk Apam" one of my favourite.You dip in hot coconut milk and eat it.

















Kapa with Fish Curry.Kappa is Tapioca in Malayalam

[kerala_special_05_0001.jpg]

"Iddiappam" or famously known as Putu Mayam in Malaysia














Kerela style Briyani


"Unni Appam" a traditional Kuih from Kerela

Coconut Fish Curry.I had try this in Alleppy Houseboat...oh man! dam Good!

"Uperi" a kind of sweet snack

"Ulli Vada" a kind of Snack

And finally the speciality of Onnam Food for auspicious Onnam festival.


So I hope the above will kindle your taste bud and ensure you end up in any of your malayalee friends house who celebrating it.Happy Onnam everyone.

























No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...