Welcome

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gendang Kasturi



I am not going to give any recipes today and do take note I am only good in eating rather that prepare them.I will leave this to the expert as cooking is very far and distance from me.Not that I hate cooking but rather I am not been expose to that since my childhood.I just want to share some of my views on "Kuih" and not recipes or cooking.

Malaysia is a country which traditionally reach with all this "Kuih" or Pastries we call in English.There are just one that in my mind and its always been my childhood favourite.But the current version are nothing when we compare to those day especially on it taste, but this "Kuih" still look the same till today.In Malay we call it Gendang Kasturi.

These are simply sweet mung bean fritters Malaysia style.The cooked whole mung are mixed with sweetener and coconut and optionally Pandan leaves (Spices Pandanus Leaves) and are dipped in a batter and deep fried. 'Gendang' stand for Drum and 'Kasturi' means Mask or depending on the sentences, it can also be taken to mean Trap.Rather we can say the mung beans are sweetened and encased in a drum like trap/case.That's the closest translation I could find regarding the name.

Whatever it is if you feel this dish is similar to the 'Sukhiyan' (Kerela style green gram fritters) or moolik as it is called.You may be right and they may have similarity between them.I had taste both of them anyway.So just enjoy them and you can get them everywhere at Kuih Stall all around Malaysia.

                                                            Gendang Kasturi


                           Crispy one and get along well with Tea or Teh Tarik

                                                           Kerela Sukhiyan

                                                       Tradition from Kerela

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...