Welcome

Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Deepavali ! The Malaysian Style

I am prepared for this year 2011 Deepavali celebration.Had buy a plenty of cloths for my two kids which some of them I buy in Chennai during my "Sabari Yatra".Well I spend 2 days in Chennai Tamil Nadu for shopping of cause.This year Deepavali I hope will be as great as previous year and when I think about it the  first thing came into my mind is the morning breakfast of "Thosei" and "Iddly" the traditional cuisine at my mom place.This is the moment I always waiting for.Of cause from breakfast,lunch with bryani and up to tea time I will be spending with my parents and siblings together with all my nephews on this joyful festival of lights.

Really looking forward for this moment every year.My kids already asking me what will be the amount they are getting for so call Deepavali "Ang Pow" and how much? This is one of the highlight for kids which will happened only in Malaysia.Chinese New Year,Hari Raya,Deepavali and Christmas..you name it."Ang Pow" which came from Chinese tradition will be there for all the kids.They will get several hundreds at end of the day from their grandparents,uncle,unties and others close relative and I always encourage them to bank into their account as usual which is a practice that all parents should encourage for.I don't do that when I were kids but rule of the thumb always teach the good thing which you lack off.


Deepavali or Divali or the festival of lights is observed by Hindus in recognition of the triumph of good over evil in the seventh month of the Hindu calendar. Thanksgiving prayers and cleansing rituals take place at temple and household altars throughout the country. 

Deepavai is celebrated on the Hindu month of Kartik in October / November. It is also called the Festivals of Lights. It's a day of festive joy and Malaysians visit their friends of Hindu faith to extend good wishes and to partake in the feasting and jollity

The word "Deepavali" is a combination of the words ‘Dipa’ and ‘Gavali’, the former meaning ‘light’ and the latter meaning ‘a row’. Thus symbolizing the rows of lights that can be seen at the houses of Hindu celebrants. As light dispels darkness, this festival symbolizes the victory of good over evil.

The Hindus would prepare numerous traditional cakes and sweets for the day, among them are "murukku", "omopadi", "athirrsam", "achi murukku", "laddu" and "mysore pahu". These are made a few days before Deepavali.
On Deepavali morning, many Hindu devotees awaken before sunrise for the ritual herbal oil bath., They put on new clothes. Then they go to the temples where prayers are held in accordance with the ceremonial rites.
 
The rest of the day they distribute cakes and sweets to their neighbours and friends and many have "open house" for their non-Hindu friends, as is customary in Malaysia. 
Most devout Hindus tend to be vegetarian, but that doesn't change the fact that Deepavali is the day to savour the many delicious Indian delicacies such as sweetmeats, rice puddings and the ever-popular murukku.

Happy Deepavali !!
The festival of light is just around the conner and I can allready feels the celevration moods aproching expecially the last minutes shopping and house cleaing which "I will have a lot of work need to be done".Anyway lets enjoy the festive of light in Malaysian way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...